Wednesday, January 2, 2013

tool kit: Leather CPR

I salivate at the sight of a beautiful vintage leather piece, be it boots, a Coach purse, or nice belt.  When it comes to leather, they just don't make it like they used to,  and a vintage leather purchase may well be one of the best investments you can make into your arsenal of style.  That leather bag will take a beating and look even better with age.  It isn't, however, totally free of upkeep.
Like lotion to your skin, leather conditioner does great things for your vintage leather goods.  Giving them a quick massage with a little bit of leather conditioner will help hide some of the scars and keep your favorite boots kickin'!

Meet Olive, one of my most prized posessions, the very first Coach purse I ever purchased.  She is an original Made in N.Y.C. bag, and when I found her, she had the receipt and Coach warranty still in the pocket!  The unusual olive color is striking, but it shows off its age very quickly.  Scuffs and spots stand out among the olive gray that has lightened over time.



One quick swipe with Leather CPR, a great product that cleans and conditions in one step, and this bags blemishes drink up the moisture.



They will stay hidden for a few days, and then resurface.  I love this bag's rugged look, but if I feel like I want a more polished appearance, I simply have to give it another quick swipe and Voila! It took me less than 10 minutes and Miss Olive now looks beeeeeeeautiful. 



I know that it is recommended to use cleaners and conditioners directly from the Coach store for Coach bags, for fear that dyes may be removed or discolored, but thus fur I have had nothing but the best of luck with leather CPR.   I purchased my bottle of leather CPR at Wal-Mart for about $6, but if you're a serious leather nut like me, you may want to consider buying in bulk.  Lots of online tack shops offer 32oz. refill bottles, which is what I'll be stocking next.   I'm off to polish my boots!


Got any great leather cleaning/conditioning suggestions?  Please post in the comments!  I'd love to hear your tips and tricks.  

1 comment: